Website News

 2012: Oct-Dec



 Update: YouTurn...

Pakistan's prime ministers orders the re-blocking of YouTube


Link Here 30th December 2012  full story: Internet Censorship in Pakistan...internet website blocking

raja pervaiz ashrafPakistan pulled the plug again on YouTube just hours after unblocking the site following a months-long blackout. The order for the censorship came directly from Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf.

Previously Ashraf in September had ordered YouTube blocked after it refused to remove the anti-Islam video. Innocence of Muslims.

Earlier on Saturday the Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) notified all Internet companies to immediately unblock/restore YouTube until further notice. Interior Minister Rehman Malik had said earlier said on Twitter that the decision to allow access again was due to huge public demand.

But hours later Ashraf, after officials had said measures were being taken to filter out blasphemous material and pornography, ordered PTA to cut access. The prime minister has issued orders to block YouTube again, a senior official in Ashraf's office told AFP,.

The privately run Geo television network reported that Ashraf issued the orders to block YouTube after it showed a report saying blasphemous content was still accessible.

Update: Blocking continues

6th July 2013. See  article from  computerworld.com

A court in Pakistan has ordered a continuation of the block on YouTube in the country, after the government argued that a removal of the ban would have implications on law and order in the country.

YouTube was banned in Pakistan in September over a controversial video clip, called Innocence of Muslims , which mocked the religious character Muhammad. The country's telecom regulator said it was blocking the entire site as it was not able to separately block individual URLs (uniform resource locators) linking to copies of the video.

The plaintiff, Bytes For All, Pakistan, has argued that the PTA has Internet filtering technology that can now be used to selectively block individual pages.

Bytes for All had asked the court for an interim order unblocking YouTube. We wanted the government to go ahead and block the 700 to 800 URLs with the blasphemous content, and remove the block on the rest of the site.

Justice Mansoor Ali Shah of the Lahore High Court noted that the ban on YouTube is negatively impacting citizens, specially students, and asked the government to resolve the issue with information technology experts, and submit a report by July 25 on how to deal with the blasphemous URLs and make the rest of the platform available, Ahmad said.

 

  Harder Search...

Google now requires the word 'porn' in the search string before image search will reveal the hard stuff


Link Here 13th December 2012

google images logoGoogle has  rolled out a change to its image search algorithm overnight that makes it tougher to stumble across adult pictures, whether or not you're searching for them.

Here's how a Google representative explains the change:

We are not censoring any adult content, and want to show users exactly what they are looking for -- but we aim not to show sexually-explicit results unless a user is specifically searching for them. We use algorithms to select the most relevant results for a given query. If you're looking for adult content, you can find it without having to change the default setting -- you just may need to be more explicit in your query if your search terms are potentially ambiguous. The image search settings now work the same way as in Web search.

In other words, if you have SafeSearch turned off, you can still probably find anything you're looking for by appending the word porn to your search.

 

 Offsite Article: Wikileaktrial...


Link Here 12th December 2012  full story: Wikileaks Funding...Wikileaks suspends website citing lack of funds
Two Years of Cablegate as Bradley Manning Testifies for the First Time

See article from huffingtonpost.com

 

  Playing the Nutters' Game...

Nintendo implement an internet watershed and ban access to 18 rated game info until 11pm


Link Here 8th December 2012

UBI Soft ZombiU Nintendo Wii Nintendo of Europe is blocking access to 18-rated content on the Wii U eShop at certain times of day, system messages suggest.

For most of the day users are unable to access trailers for 18-rated Wii U games or buy 18-related content.

Nintendo of Italy replied to a user who asked about being blocked:

Dear customer, we would like to let you know that Nintendo has always aimed to offer gameplay experiences suited to all age groups, observing carefully all the relevant regulations regarding content access that are present in the various European countries.

We have thus decided to restrict the access to content which is unsuitable to minors (PEGI) to the 11pm - 3am time window.

Eurogamer has just tested this and it appears to be true. We were unable to access Assassin's Creed 3 information or buy ZombiU digitally.

 

  We Fight Censorship...

Reporters Without Borders launches a website to host censored material


Link Here 7th December 2012

we fight censorship logo Reporters Without Borders has launched a website called WeFightCensorship (WeFC) on which it will post content that has been censored or banned or has given rise to reprisals against its creator. The organization said:

It is an unprecedented initiative that will enable Reporters Without Borders to complement all of its other activities in defense of freedom of information, which include advocacy, lobbying and assistance

Content submitted by journalists or netizens who have been the victims of censorship -- articles, videos, sound files, photos and so on ?-- will be considered for publication on the WeFightCensorship site.

The content selected by the WeFC editorial committee will be accompanied by a description of the context and creator. It may also be accompanied by copies of documents relating to the proceedings under which it was banned or other documents that might help the public to understand its importance.

There will be French and English-language versions of the site. Documents from all over the world will be published in their original language (including Chinese, Persian and Vietnamese) and in translation.

The site is designed to be easily duplicated and mirror versions will be created in order to thwart attempts to filter or block it. Internet users will be asked to circulate the censored content in order to give it as much visibility as possible.

 

 Update: Elbowed Out...

Facebook shown to be unable to tell their arse from their elbows


Link Here 27th November 2012  full story: Facebook Censorship...Facebook quick to censor

Asia Bootleg at Hot Movies
Internet
Video

Free Sample Minutes

Asia Bootleg
at Hot Movies

 

Dublin City Business Association dreams about sex shops being replaced by flower shops and cockles and mussels stalls

phil lynottSex shops should be banned and fast-food shops, convenience shops and lap-dancing clubs should be phased out of the South William Street area, according to a report by the Dublin City Business Association.

Adult shops are an undesirable use in such a high-end retail area, says the report, which was also published by the Dublin Civic Trust and lays out a plan for how the South William Street area should be developed to make it more enticing for high-end shoppers and tourists.

 

 Update: Cosmetic Censorship...

Swiss newspaper shocked that Facebook prudery also applies to them


Link Here 22nd October 2012  full story: Facebook Censorship...Facebook quick to censor

Gustave Courbet Origin of the WorldThe Swiss daily Tribune de Geneve has said that it had its Facebook account blocked after publishing a famous nude painting.

In a bid to illustrate an article on cosmetic surgery, the newspaper ran an image taken from Gustave Courbet's 1886 oil painting The Origin Of The World , which shows a reclining nude.

The newspaper, which described the article as very serious , said that the image was deleted by Facebook only hours after it was published.

 

 Update: Muffled Tweets...

Twitter implements blocks Germany from receiving tweets from banned right wing group


Link Here 20th October 2012  full story: Internet Censorship in Germany...Germany considers state internet filtering

Twitter logoTwitter has blocked access to a neo-Nazi account at the request of the German government.

The tweets will no longer be visible to users in Germany although the rest of the world will be able to view them.

It is the first time the social networking site has implemented its local censorship policy, which came into force in January. That policy allows it to block content in specific countries.

Announcing the decision, Twitter's general counsel Alex Macgillivray published links to the letter sent by German police, requesting the account be closed.

The letter outlined how the government had banned the organisation Besseres Hannover, (Better Hannover), a right-wing extremist group from Lower Saxony. It is disbanded, its assets are seized and all its accounts in social networks have to be closed immediately, the letter read.

Update: The easily offended queue up to get insults blocked by Twitter

20th October 2012. See  article from  thelocal.fr

union des etudiants juifs de france logoThe Union of Jewish Students of France (UEJF) is attempting to get a legal judgment against Twitter to block and reveal the identities of users who sent anti-Semitic tweets under the hashtag #UnBonJuif - A Good Jew.

Spurred on by Twitter's decision to ban a neo-Nazi account in Germany, the group has sought a legal order for the tweets and their writers to be blocked. The UEJF's lawyer, Stephane Lilti, has criticized Twitter's reaction to their complaints, and claims their demands were not listened to:

There is a fire and we have to put it out. We want to put an end to this torrent of hatred, which could become all so real. Like all hosts, Twitter has to react promptly when someone tells them about racism on their site.

Twitter has reacted as an American service provider: they're obsessed with American law. But, for tweets in French, destined for French people, Twitter must follow French law.

However saying that, the tweets are now being removed. The decision to remove the tweets emerged from a meeting between Twitter's senior management, the UEJF president Jonathan Hayoun and the group's legal representatives. During the meeting the UEJF handed over a list of the posts it wants removed.

 

 Offsite Article: Facebook Copyright Takedown: Justice or Injustice?...


Link Here 9th October 2012  full story: Facebook Censorship...Facebook quick to censor
An alleged copyright infringer has his fan page removed by Facebook. But the story highlights the lack of transparency in Facebook's policy regarding its handling of infringement claims.

See article from pdnpulse.com

 

  A Petition to Recommend...

It's Guy Code website


Link Here 1st October 2012

its guy code logoThe following petition was doing the rounds via the nutters of Collective Shout! It has 347 signatures so far.

Stop Violence Against Women!! Shut down the itsguycode.com website!!

It encourages men to commit acts of violence against women, and even provides instruction on how to do so. Extremely hateful, degrading and demeaning. Describes women in numerous negative ways, and refers to them as property. It is harmful to women and the movement to end violence against women.