Lawyers for Britain's royal family will go to court in France on Monday in a bid to stop further publication in that country of topless photos of Kate Middleton, the prince's office said.
St. James's Palace said lawyers would seek an injunction in
a Paris court against Italian media group Mondadori, which publishes France's Closer and Italy's Chi gossip magazines. The palace also will seek damages from the publisher, which is owned by former Italian Premier Silvio Berlusconi.
Closer published paparazzi snaps of Kate, the Duchess of Cambridge, sunbathing during a holiday at a relative's chateau in Provence. Chi says it will publish 26 pages of the images, taken with a long lens from hundreds of meters away.
Daily Star reproduced the Closer photos on Saturday, but no British publication has run them.
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge won their legal case blocking further publication of topless photographs of Kate. Judges banned French magazine Closer
from selling or republishing the pictures and said its decision to use them had been a brutal invasion of the couple's privacy.
However more than 500,000 copies of the magazine have already been sold, about 100,000 more then normal. The
ruling may do little to halt the worldwide spread of the pictures because the magazine does not own the copyright.
A freelance photographer based in France is understood to have taken the particularly intrusive pictures and sold them to
Closer. He or she is thought to have retained the copyright. The French judicial system has so far been unable to discover the name of the photographer, and no further injunction against future sales can be issued.
eBay has removed copies of
French Closer containing naked photos of the Duchess of Cambridge. An eBay spokesman said:
Following strong feedback from the eBay community, we will be removing these items, and are already in the process of doing so,